gpaint-develop

Re: [Gpaint-develop] gpaint 0.3.0 pre5

From: Alan Horkan
Subject: Re: [Gpaint-develop] gpaint 0.3.0 pre5
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 20:04:31 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Michael A. Meffie III wrote:

> Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:22:36 -0500
> From: Michael A. Meffie III <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: [Gpaint-develop] gpaint 0.3.0 pre5
>

> gpaint-0.3.0-pre5 is available for testing.
>
> This is a pre-release of gpaint 0.3 for testing. This release
> includes the translations that were missing from the pre4 release.
>
> Unless a major problem is found with this release, I would like to
> make this the 0.3 release, and start development of the 0.4 release.
> We are in the process of transferring maintenance from Andy to me.
> I will upload the 0.3 release to the gnu site when I have access.

I previously unsuccessfully made suggestions on changing the menu layout

I have taken the glade file provided in the gpaint-2-0.3.0-pre5 tarball
and made some changes using a copy of Glade 2.6.8 and put them on the web.

http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~horkana/gpaint/
http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~horkana/gpaint/gpaint.glade

Having previously had problems with the lack of Undo in Glade and messing
up comlicated changed I kept my changes very simple this time.

I moved the Effects into a top level menu.  I used the mnemonic _t
Effec_ts rather than _c so that it would be similar to Adobe Photoshop
which uses Fil_ters.

I also moved Flip and rotate out of submenus directly into the Image menu
and added keybindings.

---
Rotate Right             Ctrl+R
Rotate Left        Shift+Ctrl+R
---
Flip Left to Right       Ctrl+M
Flip Top to Bottom Shift+Ctrl+M

I used the keybinding R for Rotate.

I considered using F for Flip but the GIMP uses Ctrl+F for repeate Filter
(Effect) which is something that gpaint might want to be consistant with
at some point in the future so I used M for Mirror instead.  The GIMP
uses M for Merge Layers, something I dont ever expect gpaint to have).

I'm hoping this time you will be able to make use of my changes.
(Ideally before version 3.0 but I dont mind waiting.)

If this works out I hope to change the new Image dialog, to use adjustment
widgets, standard button layout and maybe other minor changes.

If/When gpaint starts using GTK 2.6 I'd like to use the new standard GTK
About dialog (but I dont suppose that's relevant).

Sincerely

Alan Horkan