gpaint-develop

Re: [Gpaint-develop] pre 0.2.4 release

From: Alan Horkan
Subject: Re: [Gpaint-develop] pre 0.2.4 release
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 23:32:33 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Michael A. Meffie III wrote:

> Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 19:10:44 -0500
> From: Michael A. Meffie III <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: [Gpaint-develop] pre 0.2.4 release
>

> Rethinking this, it would be more appropriate to call this a pre-0.3.0
> release, since the code structure is different than 0.2.3. Patches
> against 0.2.3 would not work with this new structure, even though the
> features should be the same and the ui should be the same.
>

> > I'm assuming you haven't touched and attempted to make a proper patch from
> > my crude changes to the menu structure?  If so I'll try and make a proper
> > patch out of it myself as I have made one or two minor UI changes since (a
> > button order chagne and something else I cannot remember what).
>
> Did you use glade to make your ui changes?

No, I wasn't sure what was going on.  I didn't see any glade files and the
one of the files mentioned that it was generated by glade but had since
been edited manually so I figured the same might apply to ui.c

Are the glade files in CVS somewhere rather than in the tarball and if the
UI is being generate from Glade why not use libglade and use the files
directly? (I was under the belief that code generation had been ripped out
of glade and the recommended approach was now to use libglade).

http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~horkana/testing/ui.c
If I knew what I was supposed to be doing I should be able to redo the
changes using Glade, with any luck it will make it easier to get the
details right, essentailly I just made Effects into a top level menu,
pushed the Flip items up out of the submenu and
one or two other very minor changes.  I was think about moving Convert to
greyscale and Quantize Colours to the Image menu (other apps I've looked
at tend to have a lot more in the Image menu and only very special
features in the Effects/Filters menu).

Looking through the various features in image_procssing.c (with a view to
addding another convultion matrix if I could) i noticed there was an
Invert funtion that didn't have a corresponding menu item.
If it works it could do with a menu item but I didn't try adding one.

> Up till now we have been
> using glade (and now glade-2) for the ui layout.  Glade can be nice, but
> it also can be fussy. Perhaps now is the time to move away from glade.
> Comments?

I figure if Glade is good enough for applications like Gnumeric and
Abiword and it helps keep development and maintaince relatively easy
then it should be held on to.

> > if it can be easily done without causing instability I'd like to allow a
> > greater range of line sizes.
>
> That would be a nice feature.
>
> > I think I saw some outstanding patches in the Savannah bug tracker that it
> > would be nice to include in any new release.

> > P.S. My mini possible todo list might inlcude:
> > my user interface changes.
> > replacing the icons, but I fear that to do it properly I've been meaning
> > require implementing the freedesktop.org icon spec.

Odds are I'll take the easiest route which would seem to be crudely
replace the icon files.

> > standard about dialog, the new GtkAbout dialog (a lot like the Gnome
> > About dialog) will probably be ready before I am though.
>
> All sounds great. Esp the new icons.

In case anyone wants it here is the tarball that allows gpaint to be built
without print support (thanks again to Andy)
http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~horkana/testing/gpaint-2-0.2.3a.tar.gz

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Free SVG Clip Art http://OpenClipArt.org