gomd-devel

[gomd-devel] Duplicate and useless getter commands

From: rbaardman
Subject: [gomd-devel] Duplicate and useless getter commands
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 11:46:19 +0200

Hi _rejected_

4 things:

1)
I just read your list of commands, and when implementing in UML I found that
some commands are double.
This concerns some of the E(X)TRA GETTER COMMANDS. Some of them gather the same
info as local getter commands. Therefor I think it would be best for simplicity
to remove the local getter commands. Most of them can also be executed on
remote nodes. This way the client app doesn't have to remember to wich node it
is talking to anymore.

A few examples are:
Local - E(X)TRA
load - cpuload
cpus - cpuinfo //although cpuinfo reads from /proc
tmem - meminfo //although meminfo reads from /proc

I know that some alternatives from the E(X)TRA GETTER COMMANDS do slightly
diffirent things, but I think this could be changed easily. This way there is
no seperation between local and remote nodes and the local getter commands
could be removed.

2)
A lot of the E(X)TRA GETTER COMMANDS don't work. gomd says it cannot get the IP
for node #258 while that is the local node. Remote nodes don't work either.

3)
"get netload $NODE" or "get nl $NODE" conflicts with "get nl" from "get
nodelist". Gomd always chooses the "get nodelist" one.

4) Conclusion: I think the local getter commands can be easily replaced by the
E(X)TRA GETTER COMMANDS. Problems could be solved by gomd2gomd. Maybe make the
local getter commands only accessible by gomd2gomd?

cheers,

Roel Baardman

Snel en voordelig ADSL nu voor iedereen bereikbaar.
Zon Breedband Budget vanaf EUR 14,95 per maand met ZonTel.
Nu tijdelijk geen aansluitkosten. Bestel snel op zonnet.nl/breedband