gnuzilla-dev

Re: IceCat-68 Help -> About IceCat

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: IceCat-68 Help -> About IceCat
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 13:18:37 -0500

Hi Antonio,

Antonio Trande <address@hidden> wrote:

> `Help -> About Icecat` window is not showed correctly yet for me:
>
> XML Parsing Error: mismatched tag. Expected: </vbox>.
> Location: chrome://browser/content/aboutDialog.xul
> Line Number 58, Column 13:          </description>

Thanks for this report.  I have not encountered this issue myself, and
I've not seen other reports of this, although I don't know how many
people have tried looking at the "About IceCat" dialog.  On my Guix
system, using icecat-68.2.0-guix0-preview3, the about dialog works.

Can you tell me more details about how you built it?  In particular:

* How did you generate the source tarball?  If you built it using Guix,
  which preview version is it?  If you ran 'makeicecat' manually, which
  commit of the gnuzilla repo did you use?

* What can you tell me about the build configuration?

* Which language do you have configured for localized strings in
  IceCat's user interface elements?

FYI, the relevant code is in ./browser/base/content/aboutDialog.xul in
the source tarball, and I think it must refer to this section, because
it's the only place where </description> begins in column 13:

            <description class="text-blurb" id="communityExperimentalDesc"
data-l10n-id="community-exp">
              <label is="text-link" href="http://www.mozilla.org/";
data-l10n-name="community-exp-mozillaLink"></label>
              <label is="text-link" useoriginprincipal="true"
href="about:credits" data-l10n-name="community-exp-creditsLink"></label>
            </description>

In the original source, the </description> is on line 132, and after I
performed preprocessing manually, it ended up on line 55.  I guess maybe
I removed more newlines than the real processor does.

My best guess of what happened here is that maybe one of the localized
strings (referred to by the 'data-l10n-name' attributes) contained a
<vbox> without a matching </vbox>.

     Thanks,
       Mark