Compiling on ARM/cubietruck warnings

From: Stefan Bidi
Subject: Compiling on ARM/cubietruck warnings
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 20:36:10 -0500

It's been a while since I last tried to install GNUstep anywhere.  At the beginning of the year, I got a cubietruck (www.cubieboard.org) and installed Lubuntu from the provided images.  It is a very standard Lubuntu install, the only difference is a custom Linux kernel from sunxi (www.linux-sunxi.org).

In any case, when I compiled base earlier today, I got flooded with warnings of the type:
 Compiling file NSMessagePortNameServer.m ...
NSMessagePort.m:1093:1: warning: cast increases required alignment of target type [-Wcast-align]
 static NSRecursiveLock *messagePortLock = nil;
 ^
NSMessagePort.m:1093:1: warning: cast increases required alignment of target type [-Wcast-align]
NSMessagePort.m:290:1: warning: cast increases required alignment of target type [-Wcast-align]
 static Class mutableArrayClass;
 ^
NSMessagePort.m:290:1: warning: cast increases required alignment of target type [-Wcast-align]
NSMessagePortNameServer.m:106:1: warning: cast increases required alignment of target type [-Wcast-align]
 + (void) atExit
 ^
NSMessagePortNameServer.m:106:1: warning: cast increases required alignment of target type [-Wcast-align]
 Compiling file GSFFIInvocation.m ...
GSFFIInvocation.m:146:1: warning: cast increases required alignment of target type [-Wcast-align]
 static IMP gs_objc_msg_forward2 (id receiver, SEL sel)
 ^
GSFFIInvocation.m:146:1: warning: cast increases required alignment of target type [-Wcast-align]

I'm sure these aren't harmful, but there are so many of them that it drowns out any other information that might be important.  Has anyone who built on an ARM board gotten the same warnings?  I'm curious as to why it is happening at all.

One piece of additional information: I ran the test suite and got very few failures.  I'm going ot be looking through some of them in the coming days and will report back.

Stef