Re: GNUstep Site Redesign

From: Jesse Ross
Subject: Re: GNUstep Site Redesign
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 18:12:44 -0600

Firstly, that sounds like "Mystery Meat navigation" to me
http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/mysterymeatnavigation.html
- for example, I'd never noticed the Savannah pop-out menus before
and I'm a member of a few projects there.  There's nothing to indicate
those submenus exist before they pop-out.

Secondly, GNUstep menus don't pop-out on hover, for good reason IMO.
One alternative is to make it look like GNUstep menus, with arrows and
so on, but when I trialled a design which looked/felt like the GNUstep
menu, it was pretty heavily flamed, so I doubt using pop-out menus
would be popular.

Finally, Savannah's menus don't use Javascript and nor should ours.
But this is possible with CSS only (maybe with a little JS fix for IE)
if you want to do it.

I could be wrong, of course, but be cautious if you go that way.

I think (assuming I understand what Stefan is wanting), that it would be okay, as long as it's merely a way of more quickly drilling deeper within the site, and we still have the regular navigation system we've set up. Facebook is a good example to follow here: http:// www.facebook.com/

Using your idea of a visual indicator (also used on Facebook), we might have top-level nav that looks like this:

PNG image

Where 'Get Started', 'Development' and 'Support' have drop-downs, because they have deeper "sections" that warrant using a shortcut, as opposed to pages like News or Applications where most of what you want is right up front.

When clicking on the Development link directly, you'd be sent to the development page, which would have all the content we discussed before: Documentation, Tools, Tutorials, Manuals, Roadmap, etc., all laid out with their own compartments (screenshot to come later).

However if you just want to get to the Documentation section of Development, you could just click on the expander arrow, and get a list like so:

PNG image

I think that that solves the problem of how to get to common content quickly, while still allowing for the regular nav we've set up.

J.