Re: GNUstep Site Redesign

From: Stefan Bidigaray
Subject: Re: GNUstep Site Redesign
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 14:26:20 -0500

On Nov 13, 2007 10:24 AM, Jesse Ross <address@hidden> wrote:
Here's my updated structure:

 - Most recent commit(s)
 - Most recent news
 - 'Contribute' call-to-action
 - Screenshot with link to screenshot page
 - Upcoming Events

Get Started
 - Overview
 - Download
 - Installation Procedure
 - Link to Development page

Development
(I'd like the Development section to be a modified and themed version
of the wiki we currently have. It would need to be cleaned up a lot,
but I think that that makes the most sense. Also, we'll need to pull
out all the non-development content from it and move it somewhere
else... either to another wiki installation or to something like a
forum.)
 - Documentation
 - Tools
 - Tutorials
 - Manuals
 - Roadmap

I'm not sure I agree with having ALL development related content on a wiki.  Certain subjects, such as Tutorials, Roadmap, etc are good to have on the wiki because of the ability for users to modify it.  But others, such as Manuals (including man pages) and certain Tutorials (such as installation), are fairly static and actually should be updated as easily as updating a wiki page.  Examples of this would be, as I mentioned before, man pages, library references, and installaton tutorials.

In my opinion, we should have a more hybrid Development section, where things that are meant to change frequently are located in the wiki, and others on the main site.

News
 - Blog aggregator (using Planet) (includes Unofficial GNUstep blog,
developer's blogs, Etoile blog, and other related blogs)
 - CIA commits

Applications
(This may also work as a wiki, but should be separate from the
Development wiki)
 - Featured application (brief overview and screenshots of a
selected app, to change monthly)
 - Application gallery lists all apps and screenshots of apps
I like this idea, this is exactly the type of thing that needs to be wikisized.  The GNUstep wiki already has a pretty extensive list of apps which can be used.

Support
 - Mailing Lists
 - Forums (?)
 - Who's Who
 - Bug Reports

Not sure I like the Forums idea.  There's nothing a forum offers that a well defined set of mailing lists don't (with this I'm also suggesting somewhat of a refactoring for the mailing lists, GNUstep currently has 10).

Contribute
 - How to contribute
 - Wishlist (simple things that potential contributers could help
with, answers the questions "What can I work on? What can I do to
help?")
 - Donations

The wishlist should probably be maintained in the wiki, and we'll just provide a link to it!

Stefan