Re: About Wiki

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: About Wiki
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 13:35:09 +0100

Manuel and others,

On 19.11.2005, at 12:56, Manuel Guesdon wrote:

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 01:13:58 +0100 CzarnyZajaczek <address@hidden> wrote:
| As I can see, there are only developers, who have permissions to edit this
| wiki. Nowaday, I've been using Linux, and GNUStep only one year
| long, at home, and haven't developed anything but my knowledge about it
| ;). Maybe in future...

Please create an account and tell us what it is and we'll enable wrte access.

Manuel

Can we have some visible comment on the wiki page for encouraging writers? Something like:

"Editors/writers are welcome. If you would like to participate, even with a few words, do not hesitate to contact .... <email>. Write protection was introduced because of increased Wiki spam. We apologise for the inconvenience."

Idea behind such comment is to let people know, that the wiki is not locked because only "the privileged ones" should add contents. It looks like that now. That would degrade whole purpose of the wiki. The comment should make it obvious that "all people with good will" are welcome. Feel free to paraphrase the message.

Communication with webmasters/current wiki editors is kind of authentification, even weak, but better than nothing. Therefore the message will still not encourage spammers as they would be identified.

On the other hand, it is nice to see "brave ones" asking for write permission last days :-)

Or is it not necessary to have such message? What do you think?

Stefan Urbanek
--
http://stefan.agentfarms.net

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
- Mahatma Gandhi