Re: Gorm 1.0 on GNUstep site

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: Gorm 1.0 on GNUstep site
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 14:13:58 +0100

Citát MJ Ray <address@hidden>:

> Stefan Urbanek <address@hidden>
> > Can someone with CVS access to the pages add a large notice about Gorm 1.0
> > here?
> > http://www.gnustep.org/experience/Gorm.html
>
> It looks like that was updated already on 29 October by gcasa.
> Do you mean some new notice? I'm not using Gorm at the moment,
> so can you suggest what should it say?

Something like here:
or here:
    http://www.openoffice.org/
or here:
    Advertisment of art.gnome: http://www.gnome.org/

For feature description I think, that Greg should know better what to highlight
on the front page. From my point of view, I would put there something like:

<gorm announcement frame>
Introducing Gorm 1.0

The Graphical Object Relationship Modeller for rapid application development
the dynamic objective way.
* Create object instances and connect them in application object networks
* Design and test user interface
* Native support for Model-View-Controller paradigm
* Use custom classes and custom views
* Extensible through objects in custom object palettes
* Create direct object archives instead of unreadable sources

Download [here]

For more information see Gorm [home page].
</gorm announcement frame>

As for the screenshot, I would display connectors inspector instead of
attributes inspector, as connecting objects is one of the killer features of
Gorm. Current sshot shows just another UI designer application.

The frame should be large to evoke a feeling that the release is very important
milestone to the GNUstep project. We do not realise it, but psychologically, for
the outside world, it is important thing. Gorm is exceptional application.
Thanks to Gregory it has reached 1.0. Yes, it is only a number for many, but
for others it is a break point for decision whether to use an application or
not. The point can be equated to a point between application non-existance and
existance. That means that is time to celebrate and to express the fact that we
are celebrating - by attractive display of the celebrated object.

> [...]
> > p.s.: what is the progress of changing GNUstep website to some CMS?
>
> If you mean putting it into some web application and locking
> out editors like the wiki has done, the only person known to be
> working on that seemed unwilling to either discuss it properly
> or show their work and they seem to have gone away.
>
> My personal TODO for the technical aspects of the site is:
>  1. start using MultiViews;

What is it? Google is not very helpful, at least first page of links does not
lead to the project page/description... Does it still require CVS access?

<snip>

Regards,

Stefan Urbanek
--
http://stefan.agentfarms.net

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then
you win.
- Mahatma Gandhi