reference to book or site requested

From: Peter Ulvskov
Subject: reference to book or site requested
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 23:12:08 +0200

Dear gnustep,

I hope that you will accept a most trivial question. I would like a solution to my problem, but more so referral to a book or other source of information.

I am a reasonably skilled amateur Mac programmer with too little UNIX understanding to do what I have embarked on. I am currently getting my feet wet on X-11 for the purpose of doing some bioinformatics where a lot of code is out there, made for Linux usually. My mac programming skills help me little and I stumble over trivial things. I can download nedit and get it to launch X-11 by double-clicking nedit. If I type 'nedit' into Xterm, however, I get the message that it is an unknown command unless I move to were it is and then type ./nedit. While this works, I cannot add it to the list of X-11 apps because the command does not work. Either I have to put the nedit executable somewhere special or tell the system that a new command has been installed.

Most UNIX books that I have come across are either too simple and assumes that you never need to install or compile anything, or they are written for knowledgeable UNIX programmers who don't have problems of this sort but need to know what a Mac is. Where is the book (or web-site) for the Mac savvy programmer who is an absolute beginner when it comes to UNIX development?

Thanks for your time,

Peter Ulvskov