Re: [Fwd: web page update]

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: [Fwd: web page update]
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 14:00:53 -0400

hi,

It's good that we are trying to clarify things, and thank you to the people working on this.

However, I feel http://gnustep.org/information/wm.html is a bit overblown. Do we really need more than the first two paragraphs? (BTW, the link to WindowMaker.org needs to be fixed.) This sounds like John Kerry trying to define himself as "not-Bush". ;) (Apologies to non-U.S. readers.) All that is needed is a simple statement of the relationship between the two projects, perhaps with some history that would make things clearer, and then spend the rest of the effort on presenting what GNUstep is (a matured framework of libraries and other facilities supporting efficient application development; in its Cocoa incarnation it underlies most applications and facilities you see on OS X, but in its GNUstep guise it plays a lower-profile role, supporting individual applications on linux and other systems, together with some limited desktop environment facilities).

The first two paragraphs do a good job of providing such a statement.

As far as related projects go, there are other projects besides WindowMaker for which confusion could arise -- AfterStep, various NeXT-like widget sets, libFoundation and the various Cocoa-related sourceforge projects that periodically come up on the mailing list, the PDA project by a former GNUstep member, probably more.. Would it make sense to handle these on a common "related projects" page?