In regards to defining GNUstep and Window Maker

From: webmaster
Subject: In regards to defining GNUstep and Window Maker
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 17:09:49 -0400 (EDT)

Greetings,

It has come to our attention that GNUstep developers and users may be somewhat confused as to the relationship of Window Maker and GNUstep. This confusion seems to have resulted in the GNUstep project posting a webpage that casts the Window Maker project in a negative light.

The page we're referring to is:

http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/GNUstepIsNotWM

While the statement "official GNUstep window manager" is not accurate, it was at one point in time. Over the last several years, the GNUstep project has indicated that it doesn't want to be tied to a window manager, and communication and cooperation between the two projects has faltered since. We are guilty of not keeping our website up-to-date on this change of events. However, our intention has never been to cause confusion or purposely promote misinformation, and we would like to promptly correct the situation.

We would like to propose a mutal exchange of text that can be used to define what our projects are, and what, if any, relationship they have to one another. We will update our website to reflect the fact that Window Maker includes support for GNUstep applications, but that it is only one of several window managers that do so. It will be made clear that Window Maker is not supported or endorsed by the GNUstep project in any way. In addition, we'll put up any text you want to give us that describes the GNUstep project.

In exchange, we request that the page given above be modified with the following text describing the Window Maker project:

"Window Maker is an X11 window manager that mimics the elegant look and feel of the NEXTSTEP[tm] user interface. It is "aware" of applications written for the GNUstep Desktop Environment, allowing for a more seamless integration with the desktop. Window Maker is not a standalone desktop environment or coding framework, and is not endorsed or supported by the GNUstep project in any way."

As for the Window Maker logo, it is a deviation of the GNUstep logo (a version from the logo contest that the GNUstep project rejected), and we obtained permission to use it from the GNUstep project and artist a long time ago. This was back when the GNUstep project favored Window Maker, and our project was the only window manager that included GNUstep support. If the GNUstep project would like us to change our logo to avoid confusion, we will be happy to so, given a reasonable amount of time. I suspect it would take us several months before we could come up with a new logo of our own.

For the record, we would like to point out that our project and website has done nothing but help to promote the GNUstep project over the years. There was a time when Window Maker was the only window manager that included GNUstep support, and the GNUstep project used to/still does share some Window Maker libraries (such as libwraster/wrlib). We would have hoped this good will would have resulted in the GNUstep project privately contacting us to discuss any issues, prior to painting our project as the "bad guys".

At any rate, we hope this further expresses our willingness to work with the GNUstep project, and our desire to provide accurate information.

-phillip

Webmaster and Sysadmin for *windowmaker.org