70-line wrap in templater, and a suggestion...

From: Alex Perez
Subject: 70-line wrap in templater, and a suggestion...
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 19:38:20 -0700

MJ et al,

I have a rather serious problem with the fact that the templater wrapping things at 70-lines (or even at 80). There's absolutely no reason for doing this with HTML. It significantly decreases readability to the point where it makes me extremely unwilling to work on thinsg because it's damn-near spaghetti.

Can we pretty-please turn it off?

Also, I have an alternative way of doing the header/footer thing which I think would be much clearner and easier than this whole templater setup, which does NOT include the use of PHP, and which works with all our mirrors (I personally tested).

If we simply use the include virtual directive like so:

<!--#include virtual="/header.shtml"--> then we can do away with the need for the template system completely, which I frankly would much prefer. It also does away with a slew of potential problems having to do with headers varying slightly.

What do you guys think?

Cheers,
Alex Perez