Re: Other observations on www.gnustep.org

From: Wim Oudshoorn
Subject: Re: Other observations on www.gnustep.org
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 23:34:57 +0100

MJ Ray <address@hidden> writes:

>> Think about Frameworks as libraries.  If I see a link "Libraries"  I
>> expect a list of libraries, not only documentation.
>
> So, is the problem that the link should be under "Information" or
> "Documentation" rather than "Resources"?

Yes, if it would appear under "Documentation"  I would expect
documentation and that is what it is.

Although I am still not sure if Frameworks is the right
title.  But I you ask what would be better I can't tell.

>> No, that is not what I mean :-).  When I am browsing a site
>> I do not like it when I am /unexpectedly/ end up at another site.
>
> Yes, the wording of that link is poor and should be fixed. I'm not
> keen on adding a specific external link marker. This is the web, so
> external links are very necessary.

I agree, an explicit marker is not good.  But if the wording
makes it clear it is external I am happy.  It is the unexpectedness
that I dislike.

>> Also, I do think it would be nicer if the "News" section of the .us
>> site is part of the Overview section of the main gnustep.org site.
>
> I can only think of using an iframe pointing at wwwmain.gnustep.org to
> do that. I think gnustep.us tends to carry more application news that
> might not be vital to have on .org's front page.

Well, embedding is not what I had in mind.  But if the distinction
is clear between "Application News" and "GNUstep" news I have
no problem at all with the external site.
But still I feel somehow better if the application news would be
carried by the gnustep.org site itself.

Well, let me close by saying that we end up in a detailed
discussion, which is good.  But I am not maintaining the
site.  So your opinion is more important the mine :-)

Wim Oudshoorn.