Re: Other observations on www.gnustep.org

From: Wim Oudshoorn
Subject: Re: Other observations on www.gnustep.org
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 09:00:11 +0100

Alex Perez <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Wim Oudshoorn wrote:
>>
>> (1) The pages show fine when I browse them online, however if I browse
>>      a copy made with wget the column with all the links shows up
>>      below the main text instead of to the right of the main text.
>
> This is probably due to a shortcoming of wget, actually. It's probably not
> getting the CSS stylesheet. Can you provide us with some more information
> about how you used wget to get the site? I'm presuming you were using a
> recursive wget, unless you tell me otherwise.

I did use a recursive wget, the exact commandline I used but it probably
was something like

    wget -r -p -np (-L)

The local copy I have does contain only one css file:

    gnustep-main.css

But I do not think it is very important to get this right.

>> (2) I think link "Frameworks" under the "Resources" heading is
>>     unfortunately named.  It points to a section in the
>>     "Documentation" page.  I would expect it to point to a list
>>     of frameworks, with a short description.
>>     (However, I am perhaps influenced by the recent discusion
>>     on the gnustep mailing lists.)
>
> I agree completely. I've been consideringsome alternate namings, and if
> you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

"Reference Docs"?

It points to the "reference manuals" of the GNUstep libraries.

But if indeed there are plans to reorganize the documentation
page this will probably be fixed automatically.

>> (4) The "GNUstep, OpenStep and Objective-C Information" page
>>     under the "More" section I find the layout not very clear
>>     It seems to be
>>     "short line of text, including link"
>>     "slightly longer line of text, describing the conent"
>>     and this repeated a lot.  But it is not very clear, you
>>     have to read very carefully to notice this.
>
> I agree completely that it's not clear. If you have any critical analysis
> of how you think it can be improved, I'm willing to hear you out.

For example change:

    The _Objective-C Home Page_.

    A good history of Objective-C and comparison with other languages.

    The book _Object-Oriented Programming : An Evolutionary Approach_

    By Brad J. Cox and Andrew J. Novobilski. The page also has a interview with
Brad Cox and other information.

to something like:

   _Objective-C Home Page_
        A good history of Objective-C and comparison with other languages

   _Object-Oriented Programming: An Evolutionary Approach_
        A book by Brad J. Cox and Andrew J. Novobilski.  The page
        also has an interview with Brad Cox and other informatoin

> In fact, it may be best to have the FAQ section be a single page,
> depending on its size. Can we get others comments on this? Adam? MJ?

I prefer a one page FAQ.  Also, I would like to be able to print
the FAQ.

Wim Oudshoorn.