Re: Other observations on www.gnustep.org

From: Wim Oudshoorn
Subject: Re: Other observations on www.gnustep.org
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 09:14:05 +0100

MJ Ray <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2004-03-04 21:38:22 +0000 Wim Oudshoorn <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> (2) I think link "Frameworks" under the "Resources" heading is
>>     unfortunately named.  It points to a section in the
>> "Documentation" page.  I would expect it to point to a list
>>     of frameworks, with a short description.
>
> Someone probably needs to explain just what frameworks are to me. I
> don't understand that discussion on discuss-gnustep.

Think about Frameworks as libraries.  If I see a link
"Libraries"  I expect a list of libraries, not only documentation.

>> (3) In the "Documentation" page, the last section is named
>>     "GNUstep Developers".
>
> Would "GNUstep Library Programmers" be better?

Hm, I think it should not be there at all.  But perhaps

    GNUstep Contributors

is better?  There is already a Contributors section in the righ
hand side link list.  And it might be better "conceptually" split
the site in two:

    Users
    Contributors

So the section mentioned above should be under the Contributors
section. (I hope I make sense)

>> (4) The "GNUstep, OpenStep and Objective-C Information" page
>>     under the "More" section I find the layout not very clear
>
> I think that page should be merged into others and removed.

No comment

>>     - It is an external link to the www.gnustep.us site.
>>        I would not expect such an external link here, more
>>     in the related links section.
>
> The "related sites" page is going to die, if that's what you
> mean. gnustep.us is much better set-up for publishing news than
> gnustep.org, which is struggling to be a good information site.

No, that is not what I mean :-).  When I am browsing a site
I do not like it when I am /unexpectedly/ end up at another site.
So I guess that I mean that I would like external links to
be clearly labeled as such (Well, depending on the section,
most of the time the context makes it clear that it is
external, but in this case I was suprised.)

Also, I do think it would be nicer if the
"News" section of the .us site is part of the Overview
section of the main gnustep.org site.

Wim Oudshoorn.