Re: Other observations on www.gnustep.org

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: Other observations on www.gnustep.org
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 00:53:00 +0000

On 2004-03-04 21:38:22 +0000 Wim Oudshoorn <address@hidden> wrote:

(1) The pages show fine when I browse them online, however if I browse
     a copy made with wget the column with all the links shows up
     below the main text instead of to the right of the main text.

Your wget didn't get both the stylesheets. I don't know if you can make it do that.

(2) I think link "Frameworks" under the "Resources" heading is
unfortunately named. It points to a section in the "Documentation" page. I would expect it to point to a list
    of frameworks, with a short description.

Someone probably needs to explain just what frameworks are to me. I don't understand that discussion on discuss-gnustep.

    (However, I am perhaps influenced by the recent discusion
    on the gnustep mailing lists.)

Has the mail2news gateway broken for everyone else?

(3) In the "Documentation" page, the last section is named
    "GNUstep Developers".

Would "GNUstep Library Programmers" be better?

(4) The "GNUstep, OpenStep and Objective-C Information" page
    under the "More" section I find the layout not very clear

I think that page should be merged into others and removed.

(5) I do not like the format of the FAQ. [...]

Someone who can work the FAQ generator properly needs to answer these for you.

(7) In the "Progress Overview" page on the last line of the
    first paragraph there is link in the text:

    "Be sure to check here for _more_ _news_"

    - missing period?

Yes. I'll try to remember to fix that when I edit the page.

    - It is an external link to the www.gnustep.us site.
       I would not expect such an external link here, more
    in the related links section.

The "related sites" page is going to die, if that's what you mean. gnustep.us is much better set-up for publishing news than gnustep.org, which is struggling to be a good information site.

P.S.:  I am not reading any gnustep + wwww related mailing
       lists, so if you want more information or keep
       me informed, you need to reply/CC to this       e-mail address.

I've done so. Thanks for your comments. I'd be interested in your replies.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ address@hidden