Re: Beta-test new site design, was: Status of the "new" GNUstep website?

From: Scott Stevenson
Subject: Re: Beta-test new site design, was: Status of the "new" GNUstep website?
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 11:03:15 -0800

On Jan 11, 2004, at 5:08 AM, MJ Ray wrote:

It's a list (well, two at the moment) and not tabulated information. It should be marked as a list rather than a table.

My feeling is that you should stick to the standards -- and within that context, use markup that reflects the content whenever practical. I'm really the world's biggest 'clean markup + CSS' advocate, but I think this is one of those edge cases where ul is causing more problems than it solves, in which case I think a simple table makes more sense.

That's just my opinion. We're truly splitting hairs here, so I don't think it's a big deal.

It doesn't look right in some common browsers and is a bit nasty for unusual browsers (like talking ones).
Which common browsers is it causing problems for?
Netscape, at least, which seems surprisingly common among our users.

I realize there are some problems with Netscape in general, but does this apply to that particular 'getting started' table? It's very simple -- even NS4 shouldn't have a problem.

Maybe I should use one ul and put two floatleft divs inside it?

I don't think this is really the intended use of ul, but again -- if it works, so be it.

I think 1 point should be roughly 1/72in on all displays. If it isn't, the display is misconfigured.

That's the way things "should" be, but it's just not the reality. It even varies from browser to browser on the same OS. It's not a critical issue, just can cause some unappealing font sizes to manifest.

Ask your browser to display a 72pt pipe symbol (<p style="font-size: 72pt">|</p>). Get a ruler and measure it. Is it 1 inch long? If not, that's wrong.

This isn't a useful test because high density displays (certain laptops) will nullify the results. Pixels as a unit gives you the system's font size representation, rather than the browser's interpretation of it.

It's a great big mess, and has been a source of endless frustration in the CSS community.

Best Regards,

    - Scott

--
Tree House Ideas