Re: Random question: GNUStep site design

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: Random question: GNUStep site design
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 10:55:48 -0000

Scott Stevenson <address@hidden> wrote:
> That's the type of stuff I'd like to put some energy into. I'm happy to
> send individual comments/fixes in, but if there's something I can do
> that would be more valuable, I'd like to take a look at it. My interest
> in this is getting exposure for ObjC and the related frameworks.
> Exposure and presentation are linked, which is why I offered myself as
> a resource in that area. I don't want to step on toes, just trying to
> see if there's somewhere I can help.

I don't think there are any feet in that water to tread on, so stomp
away!  The limit of my thoughts on structure so far are in the order
of the menu items on the newindex template.

>> It is meant to be the intrinsic width, not the maximum.
> I understand. It's a long-standing problem. I suppose you could just
> point people at Safari or some Gecko derivative. It's inconvenient for
> the viewer, but hopefully not a deal breaker.

I'm still wrestling with myself over whether to specify a width, in spite
of my instincts, or to say "sod Mac/IE, not being able to see gnustep.org
is the least of its problems and it can't be fixed simultaneously with
all other browsers".

[...]
> I'm open to whatever will work best. If we're putting GPL tag on a
> block of HTML or CSS, I just want to understand what that would
> actually mean.

I'd like people to be able to use the gnustep.org site to promote gnustep,
but I want to be able to use derived works of it that I get.  There's a
GPL FAQ on the main GNU site, or ask particular questions here.

Long term, this means replacing or getting consent from past authors
to do such a change.  The reference manuals are generated from LGPL'd
sources and I believe that they are LGPL'd because of that.  (Adam,
is that right?)

      http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   jabber://address@hidden
Thought: Edwin A Abbott wrote about trouble with Windows in 1884