Re: Random question: GNUStep site design

From: Scott Stevenson
Subject: Re: Random question: GNUStep site design
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 00:46:11 -0700

On Sunday, July 20, 2003, at 03:41 PM, MJ Ray wrote:

Yes, the link you gave is the plain. The main other thing that I think needs more thought is how the site should be structured and how we should promote GNUstep in general.

That's the type of stuff I'd like to put some energy into. I'm happy to send individual comments/fixes in, but if there's something I can do that would be more valuable, I'd like to take a look at it. My interest in this is getting exposure for ObjC and the related frameworks. Exposure and presentation are linked, which is why I offered myself as a resource in that area. I don't want to step on toes, just trying to see if there's somewhere I can help.

MacIE5 is another story. It has this interesting "behavior" that basically boils down to this:
        If these conditions are met for a given CSS box (div container):
                1: The box contains block-level display elements
                2. The box has an undefined width
... the box will not automatically scale to the minimum size required for its content.
        Instead, it will grow to the maximum size allowed by its parent.

There is no undefined width.  It is auto.

Poor phrasing on my part. The problem described above shows up when the width is set to "auto", which happens to be the default value.

It is meant to be the intrinsic width, not the maximum.

I understand. It's a long-standing problem. I suppose you could just point people at Safari or some Gecko derivative. It's inconvenient for the viewer, but hopefully not a deal breaker.

If we take
enough can you licence them under GPL or something suitable (PD whatever)? Then, I think we'll give you a link from a credits and copyright page.
PD is probably the easiest. GPL would be fine too, but in practice I'm not sure there's much difference when you're dealing with a web page. It's hard to deteremine what derivative works really are.

Possibly.

Can you subscribe to gnustep-webmasters and discuss this there? I think others may have views on this.

I'm open to whatever will work best. If we're putting GPL tag on a block of HTML or CSS, I just want to understand what that would actually mean.

Thanks,

   - Scott

--
[ http://createbynumbers.com/ ]