WebRing News!

From: webring
Subject: WebRing News!
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 01:08:45 -0700

Greetings WebRing member: gnustep!

If this email was received in error, see the bottom of this email for
instructions on how to cease receiving these announcements.

In the 8 weeks or so since we last sent a general email to members we have made
a LOT of changes.  This email is to "pre-announce" TWO new features:

1.  Automated adoption of system run Rings.  Starting on the 21st of OCtober
we'll begin adopting out the thousands of system rung Rings to members.  These
Rings were partially or completely migrated from Yahoo but abandoned or never
managed at all for whatever reason.  We've waited a year to allow the former
RingMasters to claim their Rings.  Now it is time to get them into the hands of
other enthusiastic members.

We're adding the ability to see ONLY adoptable Rings to the WebRing directory
because of the large number of these Rings.  Initially we'll allow contributing
members view this categorized list of adoptable Rings as a "thank you perk" for
having taken the time to contribute to the community in a tangible way.  This
does NOT mean members must contribute to adopt a Ring.  Any member can
potentially adopt a WebRing.  You should read this month's status report for
details regarding how this will work.

2.  HTML navigation fragment specification - This will allow RingMasters to
specify which navigation links a member site must have to be considered
"PASSing" when tested by the system checker.  This feature will also be
released by October 21st.  Note that this ability only applies to members using
HTML navigation code.  Read this month's status report for details regarding
how this will work.

Please read this and prior status reports regarding changes to the system.
There have been many, and more are on the way!

Today's!!
http://dir.webring.com/h/status20021015

Previous but noteworthy
http://dir.webring.com/h/status20021001
http://dir.webring.com/h/status20020904
http://dir.webring.com/h/status20020816
http://dir.webring.com/h/status20020801
http://dir.webring.com/h/status20020723
http://dir.webring.com/h/status20020716

Nearly 2000 members have taken a minute to contribute $5 or more to WebRing to
help support a great community.  Thank you!  We appreciate it and hope you're
starting to see the affects in features and performance.

If you're not one of these we hope that you will be motivated to help support
WebRing operations and suppress ads while you use WebRing (or promote your
Site(s), Rings, advertise or suppress ads on your Ring(s), etc.).  To be
honest, we'd like to see a lot more of you step up and join us.

Please read more about this feature at
http://dir.webring.com/h/promo3

As always, best wishes,

The WebRing Team

To contribute to WebRing you can use PayPal (or go to the promo page link aboce
to get our address if you wish to use regular mail):

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=webringinc%40yahoo.com&item_number=gnustep&item_name=WebRing+Support&no_shipping=1&return=http%3A//dir.webring.com/h/thanks&cancel_return=http%3A//dir.webring.com/rw

According to our records you have signed up with WebRing, and provided your
email address for such announcements.  Please do NOT respond to this email.  If
you don't wish to receive occasional email from WebRing then you will need to
remove your account from WebRing.  To do this you must:

1. Login to your WebRing account.  Your account is gnustep
    http://dir.webring.com/login
2. Click on the My Rings link at the top of the screen
3. Click the Delete Account link on the bottom left portion of the screen.

That's it. You're history!
You will only SEE the delete link if you have no Ring memberships.  If you do,
you must remove yourself from those Rings first.

If you cannot log into your User ID, or don't know your password, first try
having the password emailed to you.  Use the link on the login screen.  If that
fails then you can contact support for assistance:

http://dir.webring.com/help

Fill out the form that allows you to contact WebRing support and we'll be glad
to assist you.