Re: Orillion

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Orillion
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 21:42:37 -0600

Great! Send patches/bugs to address@hidden

>   Any information you might have with regard to implementing the GNUstep
> foundation library on OpenStep 4.2 Intel would be greatly appreciated -- we
> are interested in modifications to our OpenStep clients in order that they
> may use GDO.

A similar question was posted to discuss-gnustep recently. Basically
this is not possible (at least not in the way you would like). GDO
depends on how objects encode themselves, and since Apple/NeXT
Foundation and AppKit encode objects in a different way (different
ivars, etc) from GNUstep, there is no way the two could talk to each
other. A better way would be to define your own communication protocol
or perhaps implement CORBA on GNUstep (something I've wanted to do but I
haven't found anyone to do it).

In any case to get GNUstep working on OpenStep might require some work.
At the very least you need to get a GNU gcc compiler as the default one
doesn't support nested functions and a lot of other stuff required to
compile GNUstep. Otherwise it might not be that hard, but I don't really
know.

Thanks for your interest!