Re: mirroring gnustep

From: jason andrade
Subject: Re: mirroring gnustep
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 14:20:48 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Adam Fedor wrote:

> jason andrade wrote:
> >

> > e.g at the download page, a lot of the links point directly back
> > to the ftp.gnustep server, not the local mirror.
> >

> I'm not sure how to do that when the ftp server may be different from
> the web server. How would you make that relative?

well, there would be two ways of doing it.

1) don't point links back directly - point links at a download page
   which lists mirrors.  this has better long term benefit in my opinion.

2) have some clearly defined standard for links so that mirror sites
   can either search and replace after mirroring, or in their virtual
   web have a RedirectPermanent or rewrite rule that converts absolute
   references (e.g ftp.gnustep.org) to a known working local one.

regards,

-jason