Re: Using clang-format for formatting our code

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Using clang-format for formatting our code
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 11:18:19 +0100

> On 16 Aug 2022, at 10:25, Hugo Melder <admin@hugomelder.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Having a consistent code style is useful both for reading and writing code,
> especially for contributors. The GNUstep base framework currently has a
> .clang-format configuration file in the project root, but is not used. We
> could use a configuration file from major Objective-C open source projects
> like WebKit, or define our own formatting guidelines.
>
> What is your opinion towards strict code formatting?

We have a coding/formatting style defined in the GNUstep base documentation
(coding-standards.texi), and we try to make everything conform to that standard.

However, I prefer *not* to refuse contributions based on stylistic deviations.
 Rather I would prefer to thank the contributor, correct any issues, and
encourage use of the standard format in future contributions.

If the .clang-format could be fixed to implement the GNUstep coding style, it
might be useful for those of us who have it installed.