Re: GNUstep, sound server and multimedia situation

From: Stefan Bidi
Subject: Re: GNUstep, sound server and multimedia situation
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 13:46:36 -0500

Yeah, I wrote that back when I didn't really know what was up or down.  I went with the source/sink architecture because it seemed like the right thing to do.  The code in NSSound is a bit of a mess, though.  I would like to eventually revisit it, but that doesn't seem likely in the foreseeable future.

That said, there are really only 2 sinks that I know of: libao and OSS.  Libao will use whatever the OS provides, be it pulseaudio, alsa, or something else.  I wrote it as a catch all and as an example for anyone wanting to work with it.  The OSS sink was written by David for FreeBSD... I never tested it.

NSSound is not a multimedia framework, though.  Apple recently came out with AVFoundation, which looks really interesting.  Would be nice if we could get an implementation of that on GNUstep.