Re: Gorm is broken

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Gorm is broken
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 18:04:38 +0100

On 3 May 2011, at 17:01, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> Hi,
>
> fixing the images is incorrect I think. 96DPI and 72DPI are both "acceptable"
> values for screen displays. There is actually no real standard and screens
> have a varying resolution. Thus 72 and 96 DPIs are just custom values.
> Traditionally, Mac saved images with no "explicit" resolution as 72dpi and
> windows tends to use 96dpi.
>
> I think your patch is wrong in concept: no developer would expect their
> button or any other gui element to be resized according to the display
> resolution. A pixel is a pixel in that case.

I haven't really been following this, and I'm not sure what is actually being
said above but I'll say what I expect:

If I change the resolution of my display to make it higher resolution, I expect
to see windows, buttons, images etc get smaller ... ie I expect them to work in
pixels.
Interestingly, I don't really expect text to work the same way ... you
generally specify the point size of your text and expect it to appear with the
specified point size irrespective of the display resolution (though I wouldn't
say I 'expect' that behavior, because I know plenty of systems don't really
support setting text size properly).