RE: gnustep-base on cygwin help needed

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: RE: gnustep-base on cygwin help needed
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 22:42:37 +0100 (CET)

cygwin is not officially supported; only mingw is.

So, we don't have ready-to-use advice and answers on how to build things
on cygwin. :-(

I wish I could point you to a document or a set of instructions
for cygwin, but we don't have one.

It is almost certainly possible to get things working on cygwin if you
are prepared to work on it - including making some changes to gnustep-make
and gnustep-base.  But there is some work to do, and some of these things
would not be obvious.

If you're just trying to get GNUstep working on Windows, I strongly advise
you to try MinGW - because then we have well-tested instructions and even
a binary installer that makes things easier for you! :-)

If cygwin support is required for you, and mingw is not acceptable, then
there is work to do.  We can try to help, but it's not easy without having
access to a cygwin box, so you'd have to do the bulk of the work.

Anyhow, to answer your questions,

 * first of all, in terms of strategy, I recommend attacking one problem at a
time.
   Your first problem is getting basic Objective-C stuff working.  Arm yourself
with
   patience.

 * so, use the latest cygwin GCC/binutils package you can get, and make sure it
includes
   Objective-C support (of course)

 * first, try with the libobjc included in GCC.  If that works, it may save you
some complications.
   (remember that as a first attempt you're just trying to get basic stuff to
work, you shouldn't
   be worrying about Objective-C "2.0" or stuff like that yet)

 * if that doesn't work, you'll need to use a custom libobjc - either the
libobjc or libobjc2
   library from the GNUstep repository would work.  To use them, do
configure/make/make install
   in gnustep-make, then make/make install in libobjc (or libobjc2), then
configure/make/make install
   in gnustep-make again to have it detect the new libobjc.

 * you'll get stuck.  Or not - if you don't, maybe everything works straight
away on cygwin, which
   would be great.  I somehow doubt it.

 * When you get stuck, send a full dump with as many logs and information as
you can to the mailing
   list.  Someone may be able to help - or not.  If you can arrange remote
access to a cygwin box,
   that may help anyone who volunteers to help you out.

Thanks