Re: Is our name confusing people....

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: Is our name confusing people....
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 22:34:20 +0100

Am 17.11.2010 um 18:31 schrieb Nicola Pero:

Dropping an established brand name is terribly expensive and wasteful.
No matter how good the new name is, I don't think it would compensate for
the loss. ;-)

But, if you want to appeal and communicate to modern audiences, we can
launch new "products" or "projects" or "packages" or "initiatives"
or whatever you want to call them - they could still be under the GNUstep brand umbrella but can have new names or presentations and appeal to different audiences or communicate differently (even if the "content" is actually very much simply a subset of GNUstep, maybe repackaged!). Companies do things like these
all the time, no reason why we can't do the same. :-)

Maybe some slogan we use on our website would help to explain. how about:

"GNUstep - the open source Cocoa"

if this doesn't get us in trouble with Apple.

Thanks

regards,

        Lars