Re: Foundation based on CoreFoundationLite

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Foundation based on CoreFoundationLite
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 12:52:22 +0000

On 23 Mar 2010, at 11:24, Vincent Richomme wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wanted to know if it would be possible to write a Foundation based on
> CoreFoundationLite (open source from apple) ?

It's theoretically possible, but it would be a massive amount of work and seems
a bit pointless when there are existing Foundation implementations out there.
CFLite only implements a very small subset of Foundation, and isn't designed
for interacting with Objective-C.

> Actually objective-c is not an ultimate goal for me and ideally I would
> like to
> be able to call objective-c methods only using c.

Then I'm not really sure why you want Foundation at all....

> It would imply that each NS type should have a corresponding C
> type(CFxxx).

The make_c_interface tool in CoreBase/Tools in GNUstep svn will spit out a C
interface to an Objective-C class.  No CFLite required.

> Is it theroretically possible to do this ?

Possible, yes.  Sensible?  Not so much.

David

-- Sent from my IBM 1620