Re: My first app

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: My first app
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 14:32:03 +0000

On 17 Mar 2010, at 14:10, Vincent Richomme wrote:

>> The user defaults API is documented at
>>
> http://www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/Developer/Base/Reference/index.html
>>
>> The actual storage mechanism for defaults is really supposed to be
> hidden
>> ... but if you have multiple GNUstep systems installed on a single
> machine,
>> you may want each system to have a separate configuration and the
> GNUstep
>> configuration file is what's used to define where everything else (apart
>> from that file) is found.
>> Look at
>>
> http://www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/Developer/Base/Reference/index.html
>> in the section header 'GNUstep Configuration File' and at the
>> GNUSTEP_USER_DEFAULTS_DIR setting in particular.
>> See also that GNUSTEP_CONFIG_FILE environment variable.
>

> Thanks a lot!!!
> I have recompiled gnustep-base by specifying absolute path for config-file
> :
>
> ./configure --prefix=/GNUstep --enable-libffi
> --with-config-file=${MSYS_FULLPATH}/GNUstep/GNUstep.conf
> --with-installation-domain=SYSTEM
>
> and then I have replaced in GNustep.conf all occurences of /xxx by
> c:..../xxx and
> now I have a working ProjectCenter with colors (not so much actually ;-).
>
> But maybe there is another trick to not have to edit manually
> GNustep.conf, if you know it please let me know.

I think if you configure an alternative location when you configure/iinstall
gnustep-make you avoid having to edit GNUstep.conf (since the gnustep-make
installation process sets it up for you).

That way you don't need special flags for gnustep-base.

ie. You configure/install different copies of gnustep-make in different
locations (and with GNUstep.conf in different locations).
Then to build/install any other gnustep software to go in a particular
location, you just set the GNUSTEP_CONFIG_FILE environment variable to point to
the appropriate version of the config file before building.

The gnustep-make documentation probably describes it in detail ... Nicola (who
maintains gnustep-make) is very good at writing documentation.