NSSound Code Review

From: Stef Bidi
Subject: NSSound Code Review
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 20:44:02 -0500

My intention was to put the NSSound code up on Etoile's code review website over the weekend but for some reason I just could not do it (has some problem with the "Base Diff Path" parameter).  I e-mail their -dev mailing list but for some reason that e-mail did not go through, so I'll just add the patch here for all who want to apply and will have it up on the Etoile website whenever I figure it out (hoping on the Etoile guys will see this and help me out).

I added as much comments as I thought would take to understand what I was trying to do.  Please not the FIXME tags, they're there for 1 of two reasons: I wasn't sure how to accomplish a task or I wasn't sure if it was the best way to accomplish a task.

Overall the code does work but needs some serious testing.  To be able to make everything you'll need to run "autoconf" since I modified configure.ac.  Also, don't forget to go into the newly introduced Sound/ directory and do a make && make install there (libsndfile and libao are required) to build the basic source and sink bundles.  Keep in mind everything will still work if they're not installed, you'll just get a nil whenever you try to -init... an NSSound object.

I've attached, to this e-mail, a test application.  It only provides basic functionality, which means not everything in the code is tested.  Things such as: NSSound naming, volume, channel mapping, etc are not addressed, so further testing will be required in these areas.  There also seems to be some problem with the way I'm using the NSSlider--when adjusting time the message is sent twice and I don't know what's going on.  II only have GNU/Linux installations, so I wasn't able to test anywhere else.

I really just want to get this out there so that I can get more eyes on it... this is my first time working this in-depth with GNUstep, so I'm sure mistakes were made (I'm just hoping they aren't massive).

Stefan