Re: ABI Compatibility (was Re: Installation woes for the average user...

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: ABI Compatibility (was Re: Installation woes for the average user...)
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 22:27:52 +0100

On 20 May 2009, at 20:54, Yavor Doganov wrote:

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

Even the base library needs to break binary compatibility
occasionally in order to improve MacOS-X compatibility.

"Occasionally", you say.  If I understand correctly, you say that
between 1.13 and 1.19 (for example) not all soname bumps were
warranted.

No that's absolutely *not* what I said.

I pointed out that the large majority of the recent base library releases (including the latest one) did *not* change the soname!

I expect the next one on the unstable branch probably will need to change the soname, because it is likely that it will adopt the new MacOS-X 10.5 NSInteger and NSUinteger etc behaviors for 64bit processors (currently you have to turn that compatibility on) which will break binary compatibility on 64bit machines.