Re: Live Splitview patch

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: Live Splitview patch
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 16:49:33 +0200

Nicolas Roard wrote:

I'm ready to commit this patch, but I wanted to give the heads up before...
This basically remove the reverse splitview bar we draw to instead do
live resizing.
It's reasonably fast, tested on slow-ish machines (~1ghz x86 & ppc),
and makes things much nicer from a UI point of view.
Comments before I submit ? :)

In contrast to Riccardo I prefer having live resize and I like your patch.
I've just tested it on my old 550MHz PowerBook running GNUstep on OS X
and it is a bit sluggish there, but I find it still usable -- at least
with the art backend. The xlib backend seems to be worse in this respect.
(Unfortunately, I can't test the cairo backend on that machine).

In order to keep Riccardo happy you might introduce a new user default to
switch between live and non-live resize. However, given that the changes
appear quite substantial upon a superficial look, I don't know whether
this is feasible.

Wolfgang