Re: xib plists

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: xib plists
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 12:54:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hey David,

I have thought about what it might take to do this.  Essentially, this would mean a new set of encoders, similar to what is done with GModel and Keyed Archiving (although Keyed Archiving uses the same methods as regular encoding).

Currently there's so much to do in GNUstep that this is not something that I personally can take on at the moment, but it is something that I would be happy to advise others in doing (i.e. I could give guidance and pointers along the way based on my experiences).

Since Gorm's internal data structure is separate from it's file format now, it would be a matter of writing a plugin and a library which would contain the categories which would implement the new encoder.  My feeling is that this would be something like GSXibArchiver or something like that (just an example for a name...) and it would have methods like initWithXibEncoder:/encodeWithXibEncoder: etc.   It would need to have a category for every known class in GNUstep in order to work properly.

Anyway... those are my thoughts on the subject and about the extent of how much I've done on it.  You know now as much as I do about how we're going to do this, if it's done. :)

Later, GC

Gregory Casamento -- Principal Consultant - OLC, Inc
# GNUstep Chief Maintainer