Re: gnustep-make experiment

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: Re: gnustep-make experiment
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 11:58:14 +0100

Matt Rice wrote:
On 2007-02-10 17:34:59 -0800 Nicola Pero <address@hidden> wrote:

The only objection i've heard from gnustep.pc is "Its not the way GNUstep stores information".

Here is a refresher --

1. it adds an external dependency upon which *everything* would depend

an entirely optional dependency, people could continue sourcing GNUstep.sh.

2. it is slower

-make is not a bottleneck...
for example on my machine....
-make building base here takes 2 minutes 3 seconds...
make when base is already built takes 2 seconds..
where adding this stuff to make would be 0.006th of a second per invocation of pkg-config/gnustep-config

this argument is hogwash.

3. it is designed for something else (which adds complexity)

It does exactly the same thing gnustep-config.sh does.
that adds no complexity...

4. it requires rewriting and redesigning stuff with no clear advantages

there are clear advantages...
now I can add stuff to configure for things *using* gnustep-make which attempts to see if
GNUstep libraries exist.

there could be a way to bootstrap gnustep-make to "just work" without any gnustep specific
environment variables.

The objection i have with GNUstep.conf is it isolates gnustep from the rest of the world.

I find that objection vague.  Can you explain the practical meaning of
"it isolates gnustep from the rest of the world" ?

It's a text file in /etc/GNUstep.conf containing something like

it can be set by --with-config-file when configuring make.
If this is done, GNUstep can find GNUstep.conf without setting
GNUSTEP_CONFIG_FILE... GNUSTEP_CONFIG_FILE is
provided to override the location of /etc/GNUstep.conf if you
didn't change the default GNUstep.conf location.

I refuse to rely on a feature which
a) 99% of the time is fine.
b) the 1% of the time works unless your relying on GNUstep.conf being findable

theres no way to reliably locate it if the caller was not generated by GNUstep-make's
configure script.

That's a chicken and egg problem with every configuration. If I compile apache in /opt the configuration of apache will live in /opt/etc/apache, or /opt/etc/httpd, which is not the system default location. Because I choose it to be different, hence the need for a configure option to point to the config file.

The same goes for the .pc files. Ever tried to build the pkg-package supported libraries in non-default places (like in /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries)... then you also have to set the PKG_CONFIG_PATH variable to make make it all happen.

Same goes for ldconfig... it per default only searches the FHS default places. Hence the need for /etc/ld.so.conf... but what if you configure ldconfig for /usr/GNUstep/System/Configuration as the /etc directory.

What I am trying to say is that every system that you invent to do "automagic" for paths, libraries etc. will rely on defaults and needs environment vars for the exceptions.

I doubt you will ever find a package that solves all problems.

Just my 2 cents.

Dennis