Re: More Windows stuff ... Gorm works ... sort of

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: More Windows stuff ... Gorm works ... sort of
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 22:14:22 -0800 (PST)

Nicola,

--- Nicola Pero <address@hidden> wrote:

> > If it doesn't build as is, your attempt to correct issues under windows has
> > failed.

As I said in a previous posting and private email to you.  This comment came
out a little harsher than I meant it.   Please see below...

> Fair enough.  I extended gnustep-make and modified the Gorm makefiles to
> build on Mingw without source code changes.
>
> Gorm now builds and runs out-of-the-box on Mingw for me.
>
> All my comments still apply though, having looked at it in even more
> detail to have it work on Windows I think the way Gorm is built is uglier
> than I thought ... anyway that's your problem now :-)

If you mean how it's makefiles, source and headers are organized, then, yes, I
do care about this and reorganizing Gorm has been on my mind for some time now,
just not the highest on my list of priorities.

The built-in palettes dependency on the app is something I've been meaning to
correct.  Given that it wasn't causing any major issues, it didn't make it to
the top of my list. :)

> I had it build on Windows (which seems to be the only part you cared about),
> maintaining the ugly mess is your problem, I happily drop out of the
> issue now.

I'm not sure where you got the impression that it was "the only part I cared
about", as I don't recall you ever directly asking me. :)  Also you may recall,
 I never requested that you to hijack the issue from me in the first place.   A
reorganization of the code was one of the possible solutions I was considering,
but since you took the bug (which I submitted in the first place) from me
(https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?func=detailitem&item_id=10816), I
decided to let you have a go at it.

In fact, at the bottom of my previous post, I did say that I would start
thinking about making the changes and that a reorganization would be a
requirement for the 1.0 release of Gorm.   My other concern, as also previously
stated, was that other applications might be relying on weak symbols.

Actually, now that you have made it work I feel more comfortable about
reorganizing the code, since I now know it can be made to work (albeit not so
elegantly) the way it was.

> Thanks

Later, GJC

Gregory John Casamento
-- CEO/President Open Logic Corp. (A MD Corp.)
## Maintainer of Gorm (IB Equiv.) for GNUstep.