characterset support changes

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: characterset support changes
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 18:51:43 +0000

I have implemented the latest MacOS-X NSCharacterSet API ... which extends the class to support the full unicode characterset rather than just the base multilingual plane.

This increases the potential size of a characterset by a factor of sixteen, and while there is some attempt to keep the memory consumption down (only allocating bitmap memory for a map extending up to the plane containing the highest values character in the characterset) I'm somewhat concerned that the memory usage of this implementation may be excessive.

I'd therefore be interested if anyone using the NSCharacterSet code could test this out and see if they think the implementation is OK in practice (and of course report any bugs).