Re: Once more cross compilation

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Once more cross compilation
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 13:37:33 +0200

BALATON Zoltan wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Fred Kiefer wrote:

For example ld_lib_path.sh uses
only HOST, but never BUILD to determine and even common.make uses

On which system ld_lib_path.sh is used? Is it only used during compilation
or also by the app wrapper when running the app? In the latter case it is
not clear if it should be HOST or BUILD.

$(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/$(GNUSTEP_HOST_CPU)/$(GNUSTEP_HOST_OS)/which_lib to
find which GNUstep libraries to link. Of course this fails as soon as
HOST!=BUILD.

This is clearly for compilation so it should use BUILD.

When cross compiling GNUstep you first build make for the BUILD and than
for the TARGET, so this would work with HOST replaced by BUILD. And this
is what I suggest, replacing HOST with BUILD in most make files. As I

What is the significance of TARGET while crosscompiling GNUstep as it is
not a compiler?

I am no expert on crosscompiling myself. I am trying to do it the first time. The issue of TARGET was raised by the documentation of the GNUstep make package itself (See the file INSTALL). There we state that crosscompilation is done via specifying a --target= option for configure. What I tried to explain is that this is not sufficent for more general crosscompilation, for some reason it works for the simple Cygwin/MinGW case.

From your mail I would say you agree on the changes I recommend for make. I wait for another week and if no opposing opinion shows up, start with these changes.

Fred