Re: Gorm Localisation Support

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Gorm Localisation Support
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:20:41 -0700

On 2003-10-28 20:19:50 +0100 Adam Fedor <address@hidden> wrote:

On Monday, October 27, 2003, at 07:04 AM, Jeff Teunissen wrote:
What I suggest is a non-public subclass of NSString, called perhaps
"GSLocalizedString", which when decoded will return NSStrings.
I like this idea - it sounds simple enough to do. It could eventually lead to one of Stephan's ideas, although his still requires multiple gorm files (although it adds some utilities to make updating them easier).

We allways need multiple .gorm files if we do not have autolayout mechanism. However, if we have well designed way translation, then all is needed is to do minor tweaks manually.

The idea is that you create a .gorm file, specify translateable strings. Then you just make copies of it and do translations. When you modify any of those translations (add buddon for example), again, just copy it replacing other translations and do minor fixups. Not very elegant, but sufficient to the gorm approach of UI building (free positioned views without autolayout).

Sure. I think you both propose about the same approach for storage of the translation (some kind of strings file). You just add a utility (integrated or not) that would help keep the various localized versions up-to-date. It would be easier, in fact, if all the localizations were kept together in the same .gorm dir - but that doesn't really fit in well with how resources are organized.