Re: obj-c grammar

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: obj-c grammar
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 10:14:00 -0800

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003 12:58:02 +0000 (GMT)
Nicola Pero <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Dear steppers,
> > I'm looking for some advice regarding an objective-c parser. Where
> > can I find a complete grammar of the language and what tool is
> > better to use to write a fast parser for objective-c: bison (as done
> > in gcc?) or antlr?
> I'm not sure what is faster.  A full parser for Objective-C should
> include a full parser for C -- I actually expect the C parser to be
> most of the work.  So maybe you want to start from some free software
> C parser on the net, and just extend it to support Objective-C.

TinyCC might be an idea, especially since it lacks ObjC support *hint*

> I believe NeXT/Apple's manual on Objective-C (available free on the
> web) contains a grammar for Objective-C at the end.  I'd say that the
> definitive source is actually the GCC bison grammar itself.
> Hope that helps.

Google "objective-c grammar" shows quite a few, among those are

http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Cocoa/ObjectiveC/6objc_grammar/Grammar_for__C_Language.html
http://www.toodarkpark.org/computers/objc/grammar.html
http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/libobjects/objective-c_44.html

--