gnustep-make undergoing major work

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: gnustep-make undergoing major work
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 16:27:48 +0000 (GMT)

Just to let you know - I'm starting a major restructuring of gnustep-make.

There should be no change in functionality or in the API, it's only a
rearrangement of the internal workings, but it's going to be really big.
I'm breaking up all makefiles in two, and all the makefile processing flow
in two separate branches - 'Master' and 'Instance'.

I've planned a lot of improvements ... which might be/are very complex to
implement in the current organization of code.  By totally separating the
first make invocation (the 'Master') from the second make invocations (the
'Instances'), most of these improvements will appear naturally, floating
to the surface like bubbles in water.

The whole process will give us many advantages, including sharing of code
between different project types, a clear sharp cool design, and possibly
more speed (but I wouldn't bet on speed).

I've thought for a while that I should rewrite the whole package from
scratch, or perhaps branch the CVS.  I'm not doing it, I prefer to go in
the traditional way, with incremental changes, trying to always keep the
thing working.