gnushogi-users

Re: [Gnushogi-users] Install GnuShogi on Ubuntu Xenial

From: Sam Daille
Subject: Re: [Gnushogi-users] Install GnuShogi on Ubuntu Xenial
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 14:50:23 +0100

I'd almost forgotten to tell you that its' OK.

I launched Xshogi in a terminal and then made a good shortcut on Unity Launcher without problems. (As I said, the shortcut in the dashboard was'nt good, I don't know why.)

Of course, the good shortcut always got a question mark instead of a true icon, but maybe there isn't for XShogi ? I suppose I could check in /usr/share/icons/ and /usr/share/applications/ to see if there is'nt a problem.

(I understood what you mean by "old"... 2-kanjis are a little hard to read, but maybe it's because I mainly read 1-kanji diagrams. Whatever, it provides a good excuse : "OK, I lost, but I thought this Silver was a Pawn !" ^_^)

OK, I will try to launch by hand this weekend, and I'll come back.

Maybe I'll try tagua too, since if it's work all will be solved (I wanted to install it first, but as it implied much more packages than xshogi, I tried a lighter solution - bad idea).

(Yes, it's too bad that shogi isn't widely known... In France, all events are in the East, not so close to me.)

Best regards.

Hello,

All is in the title : I installed on my computer (running on Xenial) the packages gnushogi, xshogi, and also xfonts-100dpi-transcoded when I see on a bug reports that it could play (I already got the others packages quoted on the following webpages) :

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnushogi/+bug/1014821

I got the same problem : when I click on the app, a white icon with a question mark appears on the launcher, but nothing happens...
What happens when you open a terminal and launch gnushogi or xshogi by hand ?

Note that you may prefer to use tagua as a frontend, it is a bit more modern gui than old xshogi.
Thanks (and sorry for my bad english, I'm french).
Nice to see more french people jump the Shogi boat :)

Best regards,
--
Yann