Re: Info about PEERSTORE service

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: Info about PEERSTORE service
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 13:44:11 +0100

On 2/7/24 13:32, Big Boy wrote:
Good day! My apologies for writing again about the PEERSTORE service, but I have some more questions. Firstly, the store operation will store the keys-value pair in the client's device, while the iterate operation will look for the record locally?

Yes.

Secondly, if I provide a peer id to the store operation, will it act as signing a value i.e not letting a different peer to add more values/replace the value?

Only the local peer can store data in the PEERSTORE, and other peers cannot see values the local peer stored into its PEERSTORE. Signatures are unnecessary.

Third question, is there a way to generate a peer identity by providing a hash key pair?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'hash key pair', and there are different answers to this; but right now, each peer generates its peer identity at random, and there is no way to 'generate' it in any other way in the current implementation.
want my users to be able to connect from multiple devices with some credentials and access stored data. Thank you in advance!

Then PEERSTORE is the wrong solution, you need the DHT or FS or something else, but not PEERSTORE.

În joi, 1 feb. 2024 la 23:43, Christian Grothoff <grothoff@gnunet.org <mailto:grothoff@gnunet.org>> a scris:

    Hi BB,

    Peerstore is just a local database for information a peer keeps about
    other peers (by their PeerIds, and yes, that's what you get as the CORE
    ID and via the connect callbacks), it is *not* a DHT. The DHT is a
    separate subsystem.

    As it is the local (trusted) code storing information locally, the
    expiration time is whatever the local code wants it to be.

    I *think* the current implementation _may_ have a value size limit
    around 64k, but in principle that could be fixed if desired.

    I hope this answers your questions!

    Happy hacking!

    Christian