Re: LSD0001 review

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: LSD0001 review
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 23:44:57 +0100

Schanzenbach, Martin schreef op do 10-02-2022 om 22:34 [+0000]:
> While I understand the problem GNS defines strings to be UTF-8
> (notwithstanding punycode exceptions).
> You can't have UTF-8 strings with a zero terminator without having it
> mean exactly that: A string termination.
>
> Yes, you can say "but what if it is not a UTF-8 string", but that is
> not really the problem of the GNS spec.
> It normatively defines it as such and the implementation must comply
> (with UTF-8).
> See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null-terminated_string section
> in "Character encoding".

I thought that UTF-8 supports encoding \0 characters.
For example Guile silently encodes \0 and decodes it again:

$ ((@ (rnrs bytevectors) utf8->string) ((@ (rnrs bytevectors) string->utf8)
"foo\x00bar"))
> "foo\x00bar"

and Guile claims it is UTF-8:

     Return a newly allocated bytevector that contains the UTF-8, [...]
     or UTF-32 [...] encoding of STR.  For UTF-16 [...].

I guess I'll have to submit documentation patches to Guile and perhaps
even the RnRS.

Greetings,
Maxime.