Re: Message contents: Pijul, PSYC, etc.

From: carlo von lynX
Subject: Re: Message contents: Pijul, PSYC, etc.
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 20:24:18 +0100

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 07:49:48PM +0100, Jeff Burdges wrote:
> I’ve forgotten what PSYC does..  I vaguely recall key values pairs ala HTML..
>  I’ve no real idea why a key-value abstraction helps in messaging.

Check out t3sserakt's talk explaining modeling
the many facets of visibility of profile data
needed to reflect real-world society use cases:

https://media.ccc.de/v/34c3-ChaosWest-2-modeling_trust_in_a_distributed_private_social_network_secushare_org

Each person's view of another's profile is a
combination of channels they is entitled to see
and aggregate. It makes sense to structure the
data in each channel with PSYC's hierarchic
key-value stores and the semantic inheritance
feature implied in that syntax.

https://about.psyc.eu/Keyword explains semantic
inheritance a bit. It also introduces keyword
name compression whereby each semantic step is
reduced to a single letter without sacrificing
extensibility. In PSYC you can add new features
without software upgrade and still count on a
gracious fallback to the previously defined
semantics. That's what keyword inheritance
achieves. And as a side effect it allows to
map complex data into flat key-value stores.