Re: gnunet-config and build informations (bug #5708)

From: Alessio Vanni
Subject: Re: gnunet-config and build informations (bug #5708)
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2021 16:49:06 +0200

Hello,

apologies for the late reply...

Christian Grothoff <grothoff@gnunet.org> writes:

> I suggest youy pass all of the information (also possibly via #define's)
> into the GNUNET_OS_ProjectData and grab it from there! That way, Taler
> can override it without having to change gnunet-config itself.

I'm not really sure about this approach, but it's mostly because I don't
know the reasoning behind Taler's way of doing things.  If I could get
somewhere resources about why Taler is overriding gnunet-config with
LD_PRELOAD, rather than using its own dedicated program, that would be
very helpful.

At the very least, if the change is actually done in GNUnet, it would
help with coming up with a solution that would fit all the interested
parties (as much as possible), instead of something hacked together
without knowing anything.

Also, I'm going to push a tentative Autoconf macro. It's going to be in
the same branch because it still relates to "build infos", but since it
lives in "contrib" it should not cause too many issues.

Thanks,
A.V.