Some questions about the hostlist

From: Guilherme Macedo
Subject: Some questions about the hostlist
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 00:04:23 +0200 (CEST)

Hey!

I've a few questions about how the hostlist works, after reading the handbook
and looking into the source code.

Why the hostlist is tied to a specific versioned subdomain -
http://v14.gnunet.org/hostlist ?
Could it be made generic like https://gnunet.io/hostlist ?Every time that it's
updated, it also requires the handbook to be updated too.
Why it's served through plain http?
The file doesn't seem to be signed, so how can the network protect itself from
malicious or rogue nodes?
Is the validation being done in some code besides
https://git.gnunet.org/gnunet.git/tree/src/hostlist ?
What is the purpose of fulcrum.net.in.tum.de in
https://git.gnunet.org/gnunet.git/tree/src/hostlist/hostlists_learn_peer2.file ?
Who curates the hostlist?
I'm asking because there is a difference between the hosts available in
http://v14.gnunet.org/hostlist and https://gnunet.io/hostlist .

Appreciate if someone could point to me specific section in the handbook or in
the source code that I might have missed, please.

Best regards.

Guilherme Macedo