Re: Configuration for connecting to services

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: Configuration for connecting to services
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 10:29:58 +0100

On 2/18/21 10:14 AM, Danny wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> So I see all (or most) services in the API require a `const struct
> GNUNET_CONFIGURATION_Handle *cfg` to be passed along with the connect
> functions. Do the configurations set in this struct affect the
> configurations in /etc/gnunet.conf, or do they overwrite currently
> loaded configurations for a service (or your connection to that
> service)?

The configuration is merely used to know how to connect to the service.
It does not affect the running service in any way.

> The docs are a little sparse in their descriptions I think. Am I
> correct to think that by using the C api, I'm interfacing with the
> currently running services?

Yes.

> So I tried using the peerstore module. Because I'm not sure what I have
> to do with the configuration I just created an empty one with
> GNUNET_CONFIGURATION_create, then passed that immediately to
> GNUNET_PEERSTORE_connect. Unfortunately, it returns zero.

Do use "GNUNET_PROGRAM_run()" (or GNUNET_SERVICE_run()) which will give
you a configuration that includes the defaults which then has the
information needed to talk to the services.

> Looking at my
> processes, `gnunet-service-peerstore` is really running.
> So I'm not quite sure if I'm doing something wrong with the
> configuration struct, or if I'm having other issues.
> I'm not really sure where I could find any errors. I didn't see any in
> my syslog, but maybe I need to compile gnunet with `--enable-
> logging=verbose`?

That is indeed needed to get 'DEBUG' level messages.

> I'm running version 0.13.1 on Debian, so I have precompiled binaries.

You may want to use deb.taler.net, there we have 0.14.0 precompiled
binaries. Instructions on how to setup your repo for this are at
https://docs.taler.net/taler-exchange-manual.html#installing-the-gnu-taler-binary-packages-on-debian

Happy hacking!