Re: Encoding for Robust Immutable Storage (ERIS)

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: Encoding for Robust Immutable Storage (ERIS)
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 10:59:53 +0100

On 12/7/20 6:12 PM, pukkamustard wrote:
> The differences to ECRS are (see also http://purl.org/eris#_previous_work):
>
> - Use Blake2b/ChaCha20 and allow a "convergence secret"
> - Block size: ERIS allows block size of either 1 KiB or 32 KiB.  The
>  variety of use-cases (file sharing vs. robust storage of tiny  pieces
>  of data) seem to make this necessary. For both use cases this  seems
>  better than the 4 KiB compromise.

:-)

> - URN: A URN is defined independent of applications using the  encoding.

:-)

> - No namespace mechanism: This can be implemented with things such  as GNS.

:-)

> Other reasons for not just referring to the ECRS paper:
>
> - Concise specification of the encoding. E.g. the ECRS paper does  not
>  define cryptographic primitives used or URN.
> - Include test vectors

Sure. ECRS was about the idea, not a detailed technical specification.

> The hope is that a wide variety of applications can use ERIS encoded
> content over a variety of transport and storage layers. Some third-party
> implementations (not by me) are already starting to pop up
> (http://purl.org/eris/#_implementations).
>> I'd be very happy for your insight, feedback and opinions on whether
> ERIS might find a place in the GNUNet filesharing application.

Personally, I would like to see it, but I won't manage to find the time
to change our implementation anytime soon. But doing so would 'fix' one
of my major grips with the current state of filesharing, namely the
missing proper integration with GNS.  So patches to do this would be
very welcome.

Also, I encourage you to contribute ERIS as an RFC-style "Living
Standards Document" to the GNUnet specification repositories. You can
find GNS here https://lsd.gnunet.org/lsd0001/ and Re:claimID here
https://lsd.gnunet.org/lsd0002/. Further specs are in preparation (see
LSD-repos at https://git.gnunet.org/). You might also want to use
https://gana.gnunet.org/ as a registry for constants, like a GNS record
type for (preferably binary-encoded) ERIS records.

Happy hacking!