Re: Documentation consolidation

From: Nikita Gillmann
Subject: Re: Documentation consolidation
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2020 11:46:05 +0200

On 2020-07-06 10:48, Schanzenbach, Martin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> while doing a rough check over the handbook I noticed that we have duplicate
> infos on the webpage
> and the handbook. Specifically with respect to installation.
>
> See
> https://docs.gnunet.org/handbook/gnunet.html#Building-GNUnet-and-its-dependencies
> And (for example): https://stage.gnunet.org/en/install-on-debian9.html /
> https://stage.gnunet.org/en/install.html
>
> In my opinion we should consolidate this. The infos in the handbook are
> unfortunately outdated,
> so are some of the OS specific tutorials.
> Building from source is a developer thing, so I firmly believe that it
> belongs in the developer section
> of the handbook. Duplication on the homepage is difficult to maintain.
>
> My proposal:
> - Move and merge all "from source" installation instructions to the handbook.
> - Recommend using packages on the homepage to users.
> - Link from the homepage (Developers/Install section) to the developer
> handbook installation instructions for developers/early adopters.

Didn't you all add the installation instructions (especially from
source) because people kept asking how to install it and then the
handbook was too overwhelming for them (length, and also people rarely
update the handbook -> outdated)?

I'm sympathetic for this request but pessimistic about the handbook as
it is and looking at contributions since having to move from Drupal to
Texinfo.